Monday, November 22, 2010

Sponge rollers: better than a curling iron if you are clumsy like me

Making my hair curly is a difficult and long road. It requires lots of product and drying with a diffuser to even look a little wavy, and even a curling iron can't really make it curly. Plus, I burn myself and make my arms tired every time I try to use one!

But, of course, I can't just accept the fact that my hair is straight and be happy with it, I have to try to change it. In this way, I discovered sponge rollers.


(via google images)

Sponge rollers are much better than searingly hot metal. They are soft, like teddy bears. They are forgiving. One can sleep on them - which is what I do. I roll my hair up at night, spritzing a little water on each section before rolling it. I put a scarf over it when I'm done to keep the rollers from falling out while I sleep.

This particular time, when I took them out in the morning, my hair was curled WAY tighter than I expected. I went with it!



The side view shows how awesome the curls were. Also, you can see how my winter paleness allows my veins to be easily visible beneath my skin. Kinda gross chin/neck vein!



I almost feel a little like a 50s housewife when I put rollers in my hair - it's such an old beauty trick! I think sponge rollers have been around for decades. My husband makes fun of me when I have rollers in too :) - but I really like the look. Also, my hair still looks great the next day, and I can pin it up easily with the then-looser curls.

Have any of you rediscovered a beauty trick that's been used for many years and found it to work great for you?