Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Kirsty and I take Portland by storm

This weekend, Bob and I headed down to Portland for a day trip for the special occasion of seeing Kirsty and Alex! They are in the states for a bit, and we wanted to head to Fat Fancy together and take them to Powell's. And look at beards. You know, Portlandy things.

Bob and Alex headed off to the Starbucks across the street while Kirsty and I tried on amazing vintage dresses.

Like so:

(I think this was handmade from a bedsheet. Amazing)

And voila:

(we called this dark confection the "Edwardian Power Ballad")

The next stop was Powell's, where we exchanged a suitcase and a backpack full of books for an always-amazingly-high amount of store credit (I feel like Powell's is really generous in that way). I picked up a book I'd been wanting for awhile, Alicia Paulson's Embroidery Companion.



Then we headed over to an arcade that I can't remember the name of, where I sweat. A lot. It was unbearably warm inside. I hate sweating.


Outside the arcade, two sweaty hot babes pose for the camera:


After that, Kirsty and Alex had serious jetlag to contend with, so they went on to relax for the rest of the evening and Bob and I rounded out the triumvirate of every Portland trip we take by going to Pine State Biscuits, where my Southern heart was melted by sweet tea in mason jars.


We always order the same thing: THE REGGIE!!! A biscuit with fried chicken, bacon, sausage gravy, and cheddar cheese.

Bliss.

What were your plans for the 4th of July weekend? Did anyone do anything fun?