Monday, November 29, 2010

Oranges, Cinnamon and Cloves

  
One of the first things we used to make at the 
beginning of the Christmas season was pomander balls. 
We usually made them right after Thanksgiving
at around the same time I plant my paper whites
and before we start baking cookies.



I say... used to... because we haven't made any new
pomander balls in quite a few years.
But I remember how good the house smelled and how lovely and relaxing it was to sit and put the cloves in the oranges...
...mix up the spices in my big yellow-ware bowl and cover the oranges with the fragrant mixture.
 


After the fruit was dry I would tie red ribbons around them and 
use them as ornaments and in arrangements around the house.



I can smell the cinnamon and cloves now.
 

There are several variations in the recipe
for making pomander balls. 
They usually call for orris root which I think helps to
cure the oranges, limes or lemons and hold the scent.
Do you make pomander balls as part of your Christmas tradition?


Mr. Flea's Mom always baked
Christmas tree and candy cane cookies early in the season
and the smell of those delicious cookies baking
in the oven drives Mr. Flea wild!


 Mmmm....


Freshly cut Christmas trees...
.... wonderful spices.... vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg.....

Christmas is in the air!
Can you smell it?
:)